Probably from a condemned slave ship, the Three Old Boundary Cannons were half buried in the ground to mark the boundaries of old Freetown. Vertically positioned with their muzzles pointing upwards they were put in this position to avoid people sitting on them.
Of the three guns only one is still visible and this is mounted at the junction of Kissy Road, Ross Road and Blackhall Road – this part of the city is called “Up Gun”. First used to demarcate the division of the road for cleaning purposes it dates back to about 1800.
The second gun is used to be on the Leicester Road or Mountain Road but this is no longer visible. The third gun was at the junction of Pademba Road and Jomo Kenyatta Road (then called Mereweather Road) but likewise is no longer visible.