This church was built by the Maroons who arrived in the colony in 1800 as black returnees from Jamaica who were reputed to be accomplished stone masons. It is thought they converted to Christianity through the influence of the Nova Scotians who were already in the Colony. The church erected in 1822, was seen as a determination of the converts to hold on to their new found faith. A small group, the church was nonetheless at the centre for religious and social activities for the people of Maroon Town – which was around the area from Walpole Street to Kingtom. The Maroon Church is among the oldest churches in Sierra Leone. It stands between current day Liverpool Street and Percival Street.