As the drive to make the Sierra Leone Colony a Christian community continued, Governor Maxwell sent a memo to the Secretary of State for the colonies requesting the construction of a church to serve as a place of worship for the citizens. The foundation was laid in 1817 by Governor MacCarthy and construction was complete 11 years later well over budget and time.

As the head church of a diocese including The Gambia, the Gold Coast, Lagos, the Islands of Madiera, the Canaries, Mauritania and Morocco it was the places of worship for the crème de la crème of society and was also the venue of worship for major State functions. Some of the busts and plaques on display in the church include that of Reverend William Garnon, Thomas Fowell Buxton, Africanus Beale Horton and James “Holy” Johnson.

Subscribe To Our VSL Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest Sierra Leone travel and tourism news and updates from our team.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Shares
Share This
X