As the Liberated African Villages grew, it was decided that structures had to be established to cater for the spiritual and educational welfare of the emerging communities. The government agreed to finance the construction of schools and churches. In 1816, the government financed the building of a stone church the Regent, one of the Liberated African Villages. St. Charles, named after Charles MacCarthy, was the first stone church to be built in West Africa.
Perched on top of a steep hill, the church soon became inadequate for the five hundred worshippers it had been planned for due to the expanding population of Regent and the inspirational and influential leadership of Reverend W.A.B Johnson. After the death of the Reverend and subsequent migration by the inhabitants to the city in search of more opportunities, numbers dwindled but the historic significance of the church still remains and it still services congregation in current day.