+232 76 258 258 info@vsltravel.com

GOAL – Asst Country Director

This topic contains 27 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Victor Blell 9 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    gbenko
    Radio

gbenko – your opinion is heard although I would question your calculations somewhat. Are we sure that ALL of the governence budget went on consultants ? Do you have proof of that ? How much of it was spent on training / assisting Sierra Leoneans ?

It does make me smile though when we all talk about aid to Sierra Leone as if it is a god given right and an expected benefit.

I agree that in [b]ALL[/b] international ‘business’ transactions – there will be inherent protectionism. Indeed, off tangent a little, the US has been heavily criticised for last minute switching on a sizeable defence procurement for air-freighter refuelling rigs from a European consortium (Airbus) to Boeing after contracts were finalised. Many say that this is a blatant move of self protectionism. A few might suggest this reeks of corruption.

The donor country will always be looking for a two way benefit – after all – both countries have ailing economies to support.

The alternative ? – Salone gets nothing – and then suffers more.
    Radio2010-03-18 08:07:24

ed

[QUOTE=Radio]
    The alternative ? – Salone gets nothing – [b]and then suffers more….
    [/QUOTE]

….For a little while[/b]…. And then sooner or later we gonna figure out ways and means to be independent of Aid. Its no secret that we have stuff other people want. Salone is not in the middle of a desert with nothing… Who needs Aid if we can manager our tourism, agriculture, Diamond, rutile, buxite, and even oil industries well? Isn’t it common knoweldge that we are collective lazy and crippled because of Aid? Why should those politicians rack their brains to try to cut a decent trade deal if they can run to DFID.

Ok ok… am not saying cut Aid this very minute, but some of our piliticians need to be woken up…fredieddie2010-03-18 11:04:06

gbenko

[QUOTE=fredieddie][QUOTE=Radio]The alternative ? – Salone gets nothing – [b]and then suffers more…. [/QUOTE] ….For a little while[/b]…. And then sooner or later we gonna figure out ways and means to be independent of Aid. Its no secret that we have stuff other people want. [/QUOTE]
    Well said FE. You nor go cry pass the man way geh berrin. It would seem that the people who give / manage aid are more concerned about us than we are. This to me is – and has always been – suspect.

gbenko

On a slightly different note – Radio, you have a killer domain name for your service.

reporter

[QUOTE=Radio] The donor country will always be looking for a two way benefit – after all – both countries have ailing economies to support. The alternative ? – Salone gets nothing – and then suffers more. [/QUOTE]

Let us leave the donor country out of it for a minute. The question to really ask is who benefits in the recipient country or more importantly what effect does receiving aid have on the receiving country in the long term?

Does it take away the collective confidence of the receiving country in it’s ability to solve its own problems?

Does it create an inferiority complex in citizens of the receiving country relative to the donor country?

Do the best and brightest in the receiving country forgo starting up productive enterprises that they could be reasonably good at, and take the easier route of becoming aid administrators instead?

Victor Blell

Does the chicken come before the egg..?
    If the brightest had been productive.. would they be needing AID?

Una lef oh..?

Take for example…
    NPA has been in salone 45 years…. providing alaki services for ages.. not only did they not master the supply and distribution of electricity.. they even do not even know how to collect their own money from customers..
    Now.. they are seeking expertise from morocco.. and Ethiopian to come mange a 25 MW hydro project called bumbuna..

Which [i](heheheheh… sorry i laugh..but if humor is not added.. man hade go hart)[/i] is now known as Bumbuna.. Now you see me…. Now you dont…
    First Hydro in the world..that took 35 years to build and ran for 6 months..
    Talent……………..look am pak..(nah Ethiopia that is..)

[url=https://www.dailyethiopia.com/index.php?aid=613]https://www.dailyethiopia.com/index.php?aid=613[/url]

[url=https://www.visitsierraleone.org/Sierra-Leone-News/Daily/Ethiopian-experts-begin-work-on-Sierra-Leone-hydroelectric-project.html]https://www.visitsierraleone.org/Sierra-Leone-News/Daily/Ethiopian-experts-begin-work-on-Sierra-Leone-hydroelectric-project.html[/url]
    SaloneBoy2010-03-18 14:08:35

reporter

[QUOTE=SaloneBoy]Does the chicken come before the egg..?
    If the brightest had been productive.. would they be needing AID?

Una lef oh..?

[/QUOTE]

If there was no aid would the brightest then become productive?

Even if they did not become very productive life would go on would it not? Like it has gone on for centuries before.

You cannot have it both ways. If the best and brightest for one reason or another refuse to be productive no amount of aid is going to change that!

Radio

[QUOTE=gbenko]On a slightly different note – Radio, you have a killer domain name for your service.[/QUOTE]

Yes Pa, it took a while to grab….but we got there !

I agree with many of the comments raised on this very thorny issue. Aid in my opinion is a necessary evil (for now). Salone has so much to offer in terms of resources and people. It would be a dream for her to stand up and not require embarrassing handouts from third parties keen on reciprocal benefits.Radio2010-03-18 14:28:25

Victor Blell

Reporter.. any sentence starting with “Even” and buttressed by “if” … is suspect.. [b]
    [i]”Even if they did not become very productive life would go on would itnot? Like it has gone on for centuries before.[i]”

Your comment above should not be on this thread..
    The life should not go on[/b] as it has is the part this thread discusses.. [i]
    People do not give us free money (aid) for it to be pocketed..that part should have been erased from[i] [/i]the salone vocabulary..
    [/i]Its either we take the aid with its inherent ramifs or we cut the umbilical and fordom nah water… and this time….TURN FISH…

[/i]What is it called again..?
    Swim or sink..?
    Put up… or shurrup?

We should grow up and stop acting 15 especially at 50..
    Many a times in plenty of households.. dont you hear this..
    “As long as you are under my roof.. you will adhere to my rules.. ?”

[/i]

Victor Blell

And then i left this forum.. and went to the next.. and the discussion was..again..
    Egg or chicken…which came first..?

https://www.hwforums.com/2212/messages/3317.html

————
    Until I increase my tax payment so that the police will be provided withbetter logistics and improve salary not just the pittance Leone350,000/ (less than one hundred dollars) per month for an AssistantSuperintendent of police, the police will continue to work with theirhand gears up. When the last government went after the owner of okeky,she took solace with strong members of the then opposition including thefallen Minister of Marine Resources. The Okeky owner single handedcontributed over a quarter of a million dollars to the oppositioncampaign trial at the recommendation of this same minister with apromise. She suddenly back out of that sacred deal when she was madeMinister because she wanted to eat her cake and have it. In life you cannot have it the two ways. No one will ever steal from a mafia and liveto enjoy the reward.

reporter

The larger point (totally missed) is that aid helps in some ways but it also hurts in others (see my last two posts above). [b]
    My bottom line argument is as follows: In cases[/b] where the benefits of the aid cannot be realized it should be cut off because continuing it will continue those aspects of aid that are hurtful without the benefit, so that the net effect will be negative rather than neutral.

Such an instance will be a case in which the aid is being siphoned off by corrupt officials (the accusation that started this thread), or cases as was subsequently discussed where the aid mostly goes to pay expat consultants whose consultancy does not produce the desired results, or whose expertise is not adaptable to the “conditions on the ground”.
    reporter2010-03-18 15:28:30

Victor Blell

My larger argument is….We grumble too moss.. [b]I just don’t see how the negatives beat the positives when it comes to aid..
    and in this instance (the point that i did not miss).. this case that we are discussing .. your comments are negated..

It is only some of the aid.. that is been pocketed.. small fraction of the total that helps a country like ours pay civil servants.. put medicine in our hospital.. pay teachers… help us host donor conferences and pay salaries of people like the ODA boss.. SLEIPA boss.. etc…
    The positives are 3 fold the negatives..
    Liberian Economy jumped 17-23 percentage points when 15 thousand UN personel just deployed to their country…. so did salones just after the war..

There is no case to be made here that the benefit is not realized.. and so in ALMOST all cases where aid is the issue…..not withstanding the screaming headlines..

My argument is :::::::
    WE ARE NOT POOR BECAUSE WE TAKE AID..
    WE ARE POOR BECAUSE WE TAKE AID… AND F IT UP..

Aid is not bad just because we are recipients in majority of the cases.. Greece is begging right now.. for some gresh.. so was brazil..but then… they used it wisely..

In this “Highly Paid Expat consultants”[/b] thing… i think it is soo soooooo over blown..
    How much of 45 million pounds can 5 expat eat..? When 35,000 sierra Leoneans working for the civil service.. plus 12,000 military personel…plus 7000 police.. all paid or linked to these funds..

Are we the same ones that gladly cheer our sisters, brothers, wives, mothers.. when they land a decent UN job..or Special court job..?
    Would Kandeh yumkella not be an expat..?
    So would whats her name that works in Abuja..? and also whats his name in Kenya..?
    Would they not be highly paid consultants (sierra leoneans) working in poor countries hardly know what they are talking about.. just collecting as we all do..
    Ours is a Global world..
    We cant all come find work in Washington working for the worldbank.. and UN.. and what you have it.. and not expect people to send SKILLED workers in our midst..
    Funny thing is.
    I know a bunch of Sierra Leoneans who are paid to go to salone as consultants..
    On per Diem.. Bintumani and lobster..

Do not turn it down one bit.. we all heng nah office.. en swim nah bureh..
    How for do..
    SaloneBoy2010-03-18 16:02:16

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.