+232 76 258 258 info@vsltravel.com

GOAL – Asst Country Director

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author

[b]Assistant Country Director (GOAL)[b][/b][url=https://javascript%20voidopenContact%27GOAL%27][b][/url] [b]Location city: Freetown[b][b]Location country: Sierra Leone[b][b]Closing date: [/b]04 Apr 2005Job Description
    GOAL JOB DESCRIPTION[/b]

Job Title[/b]: Assistant Country Director
    Job Location[/b]: Freetown, Sierra Leone
    Reporting To[/b]: Country Director, GOAL Sierra Leone

GOALhas been working in Sierra Leone since the late 1980’s. Currently, GOALSierra Leone operates a community based Disadvantaged Children andYouth’s programme in the capital Freetown, the primary aim of which isto create an enabling environment leading to
    improvement oflivelihood of the disadvantaged children and youths by eliminatingdiscrimination, protecting and promoting their basic rights.

Theprogramme has further broadened its target population and added anumber of categories of disadvantaged children and youths along withtheir surrounding communities. Street children, children sex workersand their children, sex workers, children and youths vulnerable toHIV/AIDS are the key target population of the programme.

GOAL’srural programme in the Kenema district of Eastern Sierra Leone, is anIntegrated Health Programme which incorporates PHU support, water andsanitation, health and hygiene education, including HIV/AIDS awarenessand malaria prevention and immunization. The programme’s integratedapproach towards providing primary healthcare has promoted increasedaccess to primary health care by improving the knowledge, attitudes andpractices of both staff and communities regarding health and theprevention of diseases.

GOAL Sierra Leone also works closelywith partnership organizations on cross cutting programme objectivesand plans to continue to work closely with collaborating partners inthe future.

General Description of the Role: [/b]

TheAssistant Country Director (ACD) will provide support and backup to theCountry Director (CD). The ACD will also provide support and backup toprogramme personnel and core support service functions of GOAL SierraLeone. The ACD will also provide support and assistance throughout GOALSierra Leone’s continued transition from an emergency to developmentorientated programme. The focus of this position will be twofold;
    Toprovide expertise in systems management in order to maintain andimprove the quality of existing procedures, supervise organizationalchange and development, and retain a strong team of core support staff.The position will require strong systems management experience withcapacity building and training experience. Together with the CD, theACD will be responsible for the overall programme systems managementand will take the lead in the future development of GOAL Sierra Leone’score support structure.

To assist programme personnel and theCD in all aspects of GOAL Sierra Leone’s reporting activities to GOALHead Office (HO) and donors. In the transitional phase from emergencyand recovery to development the ACD will assist in and contribute tothe production of a GOAL Sierra Leone Strategic Plan.

Theposition will be based in the capital Freetown, with regular travel tothe field office in Kenema and any future programme locations.

Systems Management Responsibilities:[/b]
    Lead and supervise the current core support team in all systemsmanagement activities including logistics, human resources andadministration. [*]Lead in the development of procedures and policies that willdefine GOAL Sierra Leone’s support team and will serve to meet existingand emerging systems management needs. [*]Establish effective planning, monitoring and evaluation of the GOAL Sierra Leone core support systems.[*]Assist in improving management and reporting structures (rolesand responsibilities), working in collaboration with the HR Manager andCD. [*]In consultation with the Programme Manager and HR Manager,assist in the development of a country staff training plan which willinclude identifying training needs for national and international staffand encourage the appropriate personal and professional development ofall staff, within the context of the organization’s objectives. [*]Ensure that the training needs identified are consolidatedinto a coordinated training plan, that training resources are developedand centralized. [*]Facilitate, and lead as required, an in-house training on report writing for all management level staff.[*]Oversee the implementation of HR, Admin and Logisticsoperational manuals and, through training on policy application, ensurecomprehension and active implementation of all new policies andprocedures. [*]On a bi-annual basis, review and update the contents the HR,Admin and Logistics manuals in co-operation with the appropriatemanagers. [*]As and when required by the CD and/or FC, support and facilitate any change management procedures within the finance function.[*]Oversee the development and maintenance of all national staffrecruitment procedures, job descriptions, contracts, and terms andconditions of employment. [*]Supervise the daily administration requirements of GOALSierra Leone’s HO, in particular the management of ex-pat personnelfiles, work permits and visas. [*]Supervise the maintenance of effective core support and programme filing systems.Provide support and assistance to the HR Manager, ProgrammeManager and individual staff on personnel issues, including disputesand grievances, on an as required basis. Oversee the logistics function in all aspects particularlyin-country security guidelines, fleet management, procurement,communications and IT management. Ensure that security guidelines and practices as establishedby GOAL Sierra Leone are followed by all staff, national andinternational, throughout the programmes. Regularly review and update security, evacuation and medical emergency plans.Assist the CD in the management of safety and security forexpatriate and national staff, including informing the CD regardingstaff movement in-country, and ensuring that all staff are familiarwith security and safety regulations. Update the CD and GOAL HQs on any new security guidelines and any breaches of existing/future regulations as necessary.Represent GOAL Sierra Leone on the INGO Security Working GroupsLiaise with the Programme Manager and appropriate senior staffto ensure the smooth running of GOAL Sierra Leone’s offices andsystems, provide updated information regarding systems managementactivities and difficulties encountered.[b]Programme Support Responsibilities:[/b]
    Oversee the production and submission of GOAL monthly reports.Ensure that all reports forthcoming from the programme arepresented in a professional and timely manner, in the required format(donor or HQs). Facilitate, and lead as required, on in house training in report writing for all management level staffAssist in the preparation of new programme proposals.Assist the CD in designing, compiling and editing programme proposals and reports as and when required.[*]In collaboration with the FC and the Programme Manager, assistthe CD at monthly management meetings in programme planning, evaluationand monitoring programme trends. [*]Assist in developing further mechanisms for ProgrammeManagers and Counterparts to review and build on lessons learned toimprove overall quality of programme implementation, with particularreference to the management of core support team activities whichcompliment programme requirements and activities. [*]Participate in the creation and implementation of GOAL Sierra Leone’s country strategic plan.[*]Participate in the investigation and development of GOALSierra Leone’s potential for possible expansion geographically andsectorally. [*]At the request of the CD, assist in the identification ofnew or additional sources of funding to support ongoing and futureprogramme activities. [*]Upon the request of the CD, and/or in the absence of the CD, represent GOAL at INGO, UN or government ministry meetings.[b]Thislist is not exhaustive. It is understood that the aboveresponsibilities will be reviewed and revised by the CD as appropriate,and it is at the CD’s discretion that the ACD may be required toundertake some additional responsibilities that have not been specifiedherein.

KEY REQUIREMENTS:[/b]
    [list][*]A minimum of three year’s overseas management experience in humanitarian assistance, ideally with an INGO.[*]Strong systems management experience with background of seniormanagement experience of Logistics and/or Human Resources andAdministration. Post-graduate qualification in development assistance or public administration desirable.Previous senior management experience, ideally in a mid tolong term development context, with demonstrated analytical andconceptual skills to plan projects, work to timetable, providetraining, facilitate capacity building and supervise team activities. Excellent verbal and written skills, including previous proposal and report writing experience.Experience of staff management, on the job staff training and systems development.Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.Good team player, flexible, tolerant, committed and capable of working within a multinational and multicultural team.Excellent computer skills, including Microsoft Word and Excel.Familiarity with the NGO Red Cross Code of Conduct, the People in Aid Code and the Sphere Minimum standards.[/list]
    Version 1.1; 10 August 2004 Vacancies ContactSend cv to [url=https://mailto:applications@goal.ie]applications@goal.ie[/url] Otolo38441.5568634259

This is not boding well for salone..
    47.8 Million pong noto pikin paper..

If dem british pull hart pan we… we done suffer..
    Hope this is audited and those found wanting.. not only fired.. investigated.. and locked the hell up..

Hearing stuff like this breaks my heart every time and i get so angry that i want hit something, anything, really hard. Haven’t we as a people, been through enough to finslly wake up and put a stop to this kind of behavior once and for all? I’m just saying. MacT2010-03-11 22:05:38

Participant

Lef den ya, gbenko. Only those who don’t have an idea about these things listen to those idiot, rascist, twat, corrupt British MPs who themselves are stealing thousand of pounds from the British taxpayer everyday. DFID spends the money on their staff in Sierra Leone, incentives for their staff, staff travel, their consultants and the NGOs that they have contracted to do the work. General budgetary support (i.e things that the government wants to do which normally translates to salaries in different ministries and departments etc) is the only money the government gets straight up and government would be loathe not to pay people’s salaries. Dombolo go fondom nar yar. Lets assume that a consultant gets $5000 per week in Sierra Leone (which is less than they do get) and every week in every ministry in SL go and count the numbers of consultants going in and out, living it up in Country Lodge and you’ll soon find out where their blasted 48 million pounds has gone. Lets take the ministry of health as an example, DFID promised something like 50 million for 10 years a couple of years ago for the reproductive and child health programe. Now ask them exactly how much they have given the minsitry for that programme and how much they have spent on consultants and calls for consultants etc. Idiot MPS will only opin den smell mot nar Commons for talk bot developing countries, den nor ge mind opin den rank mot dem pan serious talk. ***holes!!!

Spot on, Afroswede. I welcome an investigation. I promise you that the head of DFID in Sierra Leone would be more worried about an investigation than any government Minister.

Whoa!! $5000 a week as a DFID consultant. Where do I apply?

This has got to be the dream job. All that money without the danger of Afghanistan or Iraq?? Sign me up please!

I totally agree with your analysis above gbenko… I also agree with afro even though i think some of your wordings were a weeee bit tangy…. [img width=17 height=17]https://forum.visitsierraleone.org/smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]

Here is a similar topic we discussed not so long ago.

[url=https://forum.visitsierraleone.org/aid-has-disappered-pres-koroma-on-bbc-news-at-10_topic3420.html]https://forum.visitsierraleone.org/aid-has-disappered-pres-koroma-on-bbc-news-at-10_topic3420.html[/url]

Lets face it, 47 mil is not a lot a money to help run a country regardless of who gets what… But i guess being the beggars we are, we have little choice in the matter… I dont want to sound ungrateful to the UK tax payers but man, like i said in the other thread, some of this aid bizzness is just badname.
    fredieddie2010-03-12 15:23:54

I think you are missing the point. The allegation is clear – that UK tax payers money has gone into the pockets of corrupt SL officials. That is different from saying too much has been spent on consultants. One of the problems with the way DFID spends money is something called Direct Budgetary Support. DFID like any other donor often does not have much experience in the areas that it wants to spend money. So they pay money to the respective government to finance the projects that they want to support. Unfortunately they then lose control over that money. Some years back I discussed this with a lady form DFID regarding Afghanistan where I have worked a lot too. Personally I think DBS is equivalent to taking a large pile of UK tax payers money and setting light to it. At least it was in the case of Afghanistan at that time.

Certainly an investigation is needed and like any other examples of corruption, it must be punnished.

This was a strange allegation to be honest. Seems he also had some [url=https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1196038/Labour-MP-Denis-MacShane-claims-expenses-laptops–just-years.html]expense controversy[/url], then I just got this:[b][quote=DfiD Press Release]
    PRESS RELEASE

12 March 2010

You will have seen a number of stories in today’s newspaperspicking up allegations made in the UKyesterday over the use of UKaid in Sierra Leone .

Please read statements in response from the InternationalDevelopment Minister Gareth Thomas, and the UK ‘s National Audit Office .

[b]International Development Minister, Gareth Thomas

DFID has not been informed of these allegations and I would urgeanyone with evidence of corruption to get in touch with the department.

The National Audit Office has just returned from Sierra Leoneand found no evidence to substantiate these allegations.

DFID does not tolerate corruption and has strong systems in placeto ensure UKaid gets to those who need it. In fact, we actively pursue those who stealmoney meant for the poor and have been working with the Government of SierraLeone to investigate and prosecute those suspected of corruption.

Our aid is making a real difference to the people of Sierra Leoneand this year will provide healthcare for 230,000 women and one millionchildren.

[b]National Audit Office (NAO)[/b]

Aspart of our audit of DFID’s 2009-10 Resource Accounts, an NAO team visited DFIDSierra Leone last month to review DFID expenditure.

We found no evidence,which would substantiate the allegations made in the House.

Ourview was that DFID’s management of its programme had improved since the lastNAO visit in 2007.

Improvementsin financial management can always be made and those areas that could beimproved will be reported back to the Department, however they did not relateto the allegation made.

IfMembers of Parliament have specific allegations we would be grateful to seethem.
    [b] Contact details [/b][/b]
    Forfurther media enquiries, please contact Musa Sangarie by email [[url=https://mailto:Musa.Sangarie@fco.gov.uk]Musa.Sangarie@fco.gov.uk[/url]] or ontelephone (076 735034).

ENDS [/b]

Musa Sangarie

Political & Press Assistant
    British High Commission
    Freetown
    Tel: +232 232961
    Mobile: +232 76 735034
    Fax: +232 232070
    Email: [url=https://mailto:Musa.Sangarie@fco.gov.uk]Musa.Sangarie@fco.gov.uk[/url]

[/quote]
    Otolo2010-03-12 19:38:40

[QUOTE=DaveS]I think you are missing the point. The allegation is clear – that UK tax payers money has gone into the pockets of corrupt SL officials. That is different from saying too much has been spent on consultants. One of the problems with the way DFID spends money is something called Direct Budgetary Support. DFID like any other donor often does not have much experience in the areas that it wants to spend money. So they pay money to the respective government to finance the projects that they want to support. Unfortunately they then lose control over that money. Some years back I discussed this with a lady form DFID regarding Afghanistan where I have worked a lot too. Personally I think DBS is equivalent to taking a large pile of UK tax payers money and setting light to it. At least it was in the case of Afghanistan at that time.

Certainly an investigation is needed and like any other examples of corruption, it must be punnished.
    [/QUOTE]

So why not stop DBS? I think that one of the reasons the corruption continues is because the Sierra Leone officials know that the money will continue coming no matter what. In effect DFID is subsidizing corruption and thereby making the problem worse.

So I think Gbenko has a point because it seems like DFID and other agencies like it will not cut off the money even when it is abused because the reason for the consultants to earn the high salaries will no longer exist, and that might be where the real interest lies.

I don’t see that money provided by DFID is any different from that from ordinary honest tax payers in SL. If someone is steeling it, then they have to be punished. Of course, the claims of corruption might be completely wrong – as the DFID press release says, no evidence has been provided so far. Maybe the claims are politically motivated – I am sure many right wing politicians in the UK would be happy to see the aid budget reduced.

[QUOTE=DaveS]I don’t see that money provided by DFID is any different from that from ordinary honest tax payers in SL. If someone is steeling it, then they have to be punished. Of course, the claims of corruption might be completely wrong – as the DFID press release says, no evidence has been provided so far. Maybe the claims are politically motivated – I am sure many right wing politicians in the UK would be happy to see the aid budget reduced.
    [/QUOTE]

I agree that if someone is stealing money they should be punished. I also agree that stealing is stealing whether it is stolen from the Sierra Leonean taxpayer or the British taxpayer.

If after investigation there is credible evidence that British taxpayer money was being misused, the aid should be cut until there is a reasonable guarantee that it will not be misused in the future. I cannot see a convincing reason why you would not except that the whole aid delivery establishment on the British side will also suffer.
    reporter2010-03-14 15:44:18

For me..

Even if the aid is contractually strangled before it reaches the salone population..
    Even if only 5000 actually reach the target audience..
    Its still 5000 we did not have..
    All those Expats renting and living and buying and driving ..and well the list goes on.. is still a stoke to our collective revenue pot..
    So if 45 millon pong is claimed as aid.. and then only 5 mil knack chest nar gron..
    Well .. its still 5 bloody million of someones elses sweat..

The word “No evidence found” does not mean “No corruption is taking place”..
    We all nah ya know… dem all tiff lek tiffman wef..
    And the NRA boss (Alieu Sesay) was released of duties by EL PRESIDENTE and been investigated by ACC..
    For nothing other than dipping his tiffing fingers in budgetary support money provided by DFID..

This counter spin from the ruling party and the implementers of the fund in freetown is just not cutting it with me.. as naturally.. the first defence is denial..
    But then the circumstancial evidence just lines up too right… for all this to be co-incidental..

President Koroma calls al his ministers into a room a few months ago.. and told them all blatantly…
    including head of parastatals.. YOU ARE ALL A BUNCH OF CROOKS…or you turn a blind eye when you know the crookisness taking place under your ministries..those in the room….

Police (DFID sponsored)..
    Army (DFID sponsored)..
    ONS (DFID sponsored)..
    Fisheries (World bank/DFID sponsored)

If governments budget is spported 95% externally… and DFID providing 80% of that 95%..
    And we have 3 ministers under investigation.. and scores of other pilfering stickyfingerers parading as honorables.. and the talk of the town is nothing other than who tiffs the most money or who is closest to those who tiff the most money.. etc..etc..

The former minister of health was just CONVICTED…for skirting procurement laws (and thats putting it nicely….when someone willfully takes kickback for a broken/secondhand MRI machine that was to help a country of 6 million..for me thats treason..)..

Well funny.. just happend that the procurement process is DFID sponsored as part of their institutional capacity building program..

And lastly… just so we archor..
    The reasoning behind most of the consultants sent to salone by DFID and like is most times the talent cannot be easily found local..or just cannot be trusted… to give an independent assessment..

I just dont buy into this AID money benefits the provider more than it benefits the recipients concept…

or they are just too addicted to aid.. thats why we have to suffer under that shipload of rice we just did not want.. or those doctors that just cram the hospitals and even patients cannot find a place to walk..

or the NRA was doing so well.. and them stupid DFID people came in and interfered with all than paper that has the queens head on it.. they call it pounds.. and a few waitman to check that we follow their rules.. fityeye…

or DFID was so wrong in providing gaurantees of 45 million dollars for Sierra Rutile to be reignited after the war..

or supporting that dreaded National polio vaccination drive and they had the audacity to send in a few highly paid nurses to come give our people macklate..
    phew.. cheeky blokes..

<nigerian accent alert>

And as for those USAID people… darn buggers.. send us oil and rice and then have the audacity to write on it..
    USAID
    FOOD AID
    NOT FOR SALE

and the fools expect us to just give it to people for nothing…..?
    Abi oga.. Do they read??..silly oyimbo’s

<end nigerian accent>

SaloneBoy2010-03-14 19:29:25

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.