Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Fly 540 to commence flights to Freetown

So how was Christmas 2004 in Salone? 9 years 2 months ago #2494

• Darkchild
  • Citizen
First I would like to say that it is refreshing and healthy to see so many of us communicating about Sierra Leone! My trip for the second year was wonderful! Yes there is not, light, it is dirty and we are poor. But one thing we are is survioviors! Despite all of the complaints people are living everday and we all lived to tell our stories.Going home always fills me with new realities. yes we all should be lookinginto what we can do for Sierra Leone, but honsetly I am also filled with frustration I came back all geared up to make some change. Got an NGO going only to go to SL and be faced with challeges and coruption. The truth is to make change people have got to want change and it not looking so good right now. I will never give up though here is an excerpt from my e-mail Journal from Sierra Leone:

The youth here are over 300,000 miles away from the so called 1st world but can tell you more about 50 cent and Jay-Z than you would ever want to know. They know about the fashion and what's coming out next. A 7 year old can have a conversation with you about Bush vs Kerry and let you know why Bush won the election before it started. I have visited some of the most beautiful homes in the world. The tours I had would put some of MTV cribs guests to shame.

You learn to appreciate the life you have and all the things you take for granted. The average teacher makes about 50,000 Leones a month which is the equivalent to about $23.00. They have to pay rent and feed their families with that. $20,000 can build you a more than modest 3 to 4 bedroom home that you own. In contrast their are many foreigners living a more than pleasant life in Sierra Leone. Whites, Lebanese, Chinese, Indians are all business owners living life in paradise they have found "Africa's best kept secret." Whe you step into the fine dining they look at you like " what are you doing here?"

I encourage you all to find time in your schedule in your live to visit the motherland. It does not have to be SL but find your way to the place we were meant to live. I am asking myself everyday why I am here because my education and services are being exploited daily I mean what are we really all working toward? To purchase some monetary gain in order to create more bills to work to pay off. I don't know about yall but my days here are numbered and when I make the move you are all welcome for a visit.So I will get off my stool now...........
--
EXCEL Moving Education Forward: Turning Vision into ACTION. www.sierravisions.org
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Fly 540 to commence flights to Freetown 1 year 5 months ago #1502

• otolo
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 19
Seeing as we're talking flights this evening. These guys are also supposed to be commencing their flights to Sierra Leone shortly. This should bring some competition to the FNA -ACC route.

www.fly540africa.com/
The following user(s) said Thank You: guhvies

Fly 540 to commence flights to Freetown 1 year 5 months ago #1506

• DaveS
  • Thank you received: 30
The confirmation is on their web site. I also saw some of the advertising material being prepared in Freetown last week.

Fly 540 to commence flights to Freetown 1 year 5 months ago #1509

• guhvies
  • VSL General
  • Thank you received: 6
Looks like we are soon going to have a very busy airport. How are the improvements to the facilities at the airport going. My thoughts are that a simplified process plus a clean and inviting atmosphere will go a long way, especially when leaving the country. Are all the taxes now bundled up into the ticket price? I don't think anyone should be paying extra taxes at the airport. I can understand paying visa fees if you haven't already got one, taxes are another matter altogether. Just saying...
Registered Linux User # 125653 (counter.li.org)
Now accepting personal mail for GMail invites.

Fly 540 to commence flights to Freetown 1 year 5 months ago #1510

• DaveS
  • Thank you received: 30
The improvements are happening. There are still too many things that should be better than they are. I was in the business lounge last night. For the first time in months, the air conditioning was working. The immigration has also gone biometric. Fingerprint scanners and photos are recorded on new computers. So the process is not too quick at the moment while the staff work out which buttons to press. Let's hope it lasts a bit longer than the system IOM gave them a couple of years ago.

I think the airport itself has the potential to be quite respectable in a years or so. The roads around the airport to the various transfer services do need to be sorted out though.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.328 seconds