Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Your favorite books

Kabbah to visit Cuba 8 years 8 months ago #9944

• Saloneman
  • Patriot
Edleen it reminds me of a British soldier who was asked to assess the qualities of the Sierra Leonean soldiers he was training. He reeled of their attributes, the Good - tolerant, easy to work with, etc. The Bad - his number one: lack of grit i.e. perseverance.

I can assure you these same problems you say this Sierra Leonean walked away from 'because he's human' if you put a Western medic there, he'll solve. I guess our outlook on life is very different. Hey don't shoot the messenger. I live here I see people tackling problems and solving them, with Sierra Leoneans it is always someone else’s job, and it can't be done at the first sign of obstacle. Well that's why the Brits conquered the world, I guess. Someone walking away from something as simple as plasas in an incubator? Anyway I don't agree.

I don't want to personalize this, but two years after college is something I did, so I have an idea what it takes. I also know people who have done the same, even some who came from abroad.

That’s why I say after college because at that point the level of responsibility is still low. CR Working for the Government is not as bad as you might think, by the way. You talk about late salaries, well what about the civil servants working there who are getting late salaries? Who solves these problems if we never fix them?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Kabbah to visit Cuba 8 years 8 months ago #9946

Saloneman wrote:
. CR Working for the Government is not as bad as you might think, by the way. You talk about late salaries, well what about the civil servants working there who are getting late salaries? Who solves these problems if we never fix them?

that's my question also? How does one go about seeking resolution- which will eventually alleviate these salary issues. - be it Dr, civil servant, minister oh, watchman oh,policeman oh etc etc....

Average police makes less than 50,000 leones/month and he doesn't even get paid on time? how can he PERSEVERE?

Saloneman wrote:
I don't want to personalize this, but two years after college is something I did, so I have an idea what it takes. I also know people who have done the same, even some who came from abroad.

So, in your two years were you& your colleagues paid on time? Did you all have to wait 9-12 months just to re-coup 1 or 2 month's salaries? How did you all survive then?

Again, to anyone out there- What is the due process to re-coup unpaid wages in SL?

BTW, its easier tackle obstacles where there's accountability, Structure and due process than in an environment -of free for all do as you please..pass dee kyash kyash kyash! don't you think?
Cool-Runnins38582.7659375
The NAIL that sticks out, always gets HIT on the HEAD. LONTA

Kabbah to visit Cuba 8 years 8 months ago #9955

• Saloneman
  • Patriot
Cool-Runnins wrote:
So, in your two years were you& your colleagues paid on time? Did you all have to wait 9-12 months just to re-coup 1 or 2 month's salaries? How did you all survive then?

Actually CR, believe it or not, I was paid on time. the Universities pay promptly. I think maybe only once, and even if it was, it wasn't significant enough for me to recollect, so that should tell you. I don't know why so many workers keep getting paid late. I'll ask a civil servant I know who just came. I know for example now the army is paid promptly, on the sixth I think. Dunno about Police. Teachers, government sometimes says it's the principals - I dunno. All I know is that I was. And it was pretty much the same in the private sector that could use many of these fleeing graduates. For me the money was akara money, and being there cost me other job opportunities, but it was not about money, and it was like being a student with a better allowance. Loved it. It was fun, and I enjoyed it immensely. Working in Salone were some of the best years of my life, and given a chance I'd do it again, unfortunately circumstances don't allow me now.

It's not as bad as you think. Do I recommend it if you plan to have a family etc? Certainly not. Go where the money is. But for a young graduate two years of service is not much to ask. Within two years many still have a student overhead. At least let's look on the bright side our graduates do not start with $100,000 in student loans which they will be paying till their hair starts changing color. The two years can allow you to mature, get used to the job market culture, network locally, and make plans for leaving if that's what you want. I think it should become law, if we are losing so many talented people. The state invests a lot in education, we can't be training workers for the West without getting any direct returns.

Kabbah to visit Cuba 8 years 8 months ago #9962

• Edleen
  • Patriot
Saloneman, if you've worked with people for 7 months and guided them to do things right, seeing 'plasas' in an incubator with the baby on the floor tells u that their attitudes are wrong and they don't have any intentions of changing because they know that their actions are wrong and don't care. I live here, work for pittance as well but love my country and want to make whatever little difference I can to its development. As tolerant as I am, I get my off days as well because I'm human...... it's the lack of Customer Service (not because they don't know how to speak to people, but because they can't be asked), the fact that someone thinks it's OK to pee behind my back while I'm eating lunch, someone at a commercial establishment thinking I've got nothing better to do than to wait for them while they eat or chat during working hours. Some people just can't put up with issues like that if they keep happening time and again bcoz like I said b4 it shows a certain attitude that one realises would not go away unless something drastic was done. About salaries, Milton Margai lecturers do not get paid on time. In fact, they haven't been paid for July as yet.

You compare Sa Lone to the West, but it's much more difficult dealing with these frustrations here bcoz of the lack of accountability. S'times it feels like you're speaking to a brick wall... the people in positions of power don't seem to care. Everyone just seems to be doing what they want to do without being held accountable for their actions. That's what makes it different.

Sometimes you may want to be less judgmental and think that maybe not everyone is as strong as you and they choose to take the easier option.... or they feel broken, that they've done everything they can and genuinely feel there's nothing else they can do.

Kabbah to visit Cuba 8 years 8 months ago #10002

• Saloneman
  • Patriot
Well let's agree to disagree on that. It's of topic anyway, so time to move on.

Your favorite books 1 year 4 months ago #1623

• Scielcold
To date, when you think about all the good or inspirational books you've read, whats the one that comes to mind first? Second? Anything you wanna say to persuade other people to read it too, please share!

Your favorite books 1 year 4 months ago #1630

I will keep the books within the Sierra Leonean theme
The Devil that Danced on Water- Aminatta Forna
The Bite of the Mango- Mariatu Kamara
A Long Way Gone- Ishmael Beah

I just love all these books because they are all based on true stories. They depict many of the struggles some of our people have gone through, mostly based around the war. I would love for people to share their favs!
Happy Holidays everyone

Your favorite books 1 year 1 month ago #1821

• ajimmy
  • Banned
  • Thank you received: 1
I like to read books in my free time and there are many good books which are really good. These are my favorite books:
1-Matilda
2-The light in the forres
3-Bodies Left Behind
Time to create page: 0.400 seconds